Thursday, January 22, 2015

Performance Hair[styles] Part 1: Bobby Pins

Ok. It needs to be said. I have seen some abysmal hair styling skills in my performance life: in particular, the misuse of bobby pins.

An example of misuse:

c. Beauty High

I wish I could tell you that this misuse is happening because bobby pins are tricky, but they truly are not that hard to use correctly.

I am not a professional hair stylist. I am, however, very handy with a curling iron. In most performances, I have, at some point, been called on to assist with someone's hair. In a production I did this past summer, I ended up styling all the Woodsprites in Rusalka, the Prince and many of the chorus members for the ballroom scene.

Myself and Megan-Maeve McCarthy HSOF Rusalka 2014

When I was little, I was sure I was going to be a hair dresser and spent hour after hour practicing updos on my dolls or on myself. 

So, without further ado, I announce todays blog:

Performance Hair[styles] Part 1: Bobby Pins


I have compiled some good performance hair strategies and looks for you which I will outline here.

Bobby Pins: how to use correctly

Our friend, the bobby pin, is one of the performers best friends. It can hold little to plenty of hair, can be used to create a wide array of looks and, when used properly, both hold style well and are discreet.

1. You are probably inserting bobby pins upside down.

c. Kathleen Kamphausen

It's true! The wavy side goes down! Putting bobby pins in the right way prevents hair from sliding out. The wavy side creates more traction, holds the style longer and, when crisscrossed with another bobby pin, literally locks them into place. This quick fix will save you a lot of refastening of your hair style!

2. For extra-fine or slippery hair, spray the pins with dry shampoo or hairspray before use.

Lay the pins out on a paper towel and spray them with dry shampoo or hairspray. Allow time for them to dry and then pin away!

3. Try the twist-and-pin method for discreet usage.

c. MakeAGIF.com

As it says on Cosmopolitan.com:

"Using a larger bobby pin or hairpin like Nishida Hair Pins, aim the open end of the pin against the direction that your hair is pulled. Next, rotate the pin so the open end is facing the same direction as the hair, and push the pin in toward your head to secure it. If inserted correctly, the pins will pull your hair tighter and be unnoticeable. Repeat these steps until your style is completely secure. (Tip via Matrixartistic director Ammon Carver.)"


Easy fail-proof styles that use bobby pins.


1. One side pinned back

This is always one of my go-to performance looks. I always wear my hair down because I have a gigantic head and face (no joke) and wearing my hair up is too severe on me. 

I think this hair style works for just about every hair type: straight, fine, wavy, curly, short, medium or long hair. It is soft, feminine, easy and a great way to get those pesky half-grown out bangs out of the way.

I usually wash and blow dry my hair in the fall - winter season (always dry your bangs/shortest layer first!). My hair is naturally very curly but not consistent enough to leave natural when the weather is drier. 

My favourite hair tool is the Conair Infinity Pro Spin Air Brush:

c. www.folica.com

It makes my hair really smooth and still keeps all the volume and a big, loose curl. 

Then, run your fingers through your hair, flip your head over and spray with hair-spray (not too much, it should not be stiff!)

Take a piece of hair, gently twist it back and insert the bobby pin with the open end toward your face and the way side down. If it isn't holding with one pin (usually it will), cross a second one underneath, wavy side down.


c. Getty + Getty, Kathleen Kaupenhauser,Elizabeth Griffin


2. Roll-up


If your hair looks better up or you are having a bad hair day, this is a great way to look elegant and put together without too much hassle:


c. Barbara Donninelli

To achieve this style, put hair in a low, loose ponytail. Above the elastic, gently split the hair in two and feed the ponytail through the hole. Sprinkle some of Schwartzkopf Got2b Volumizing Powder ($3.99 at Shoppers, definitely worth its weight in gold!)

c. www.makeupalley.com


Then, back comb the top half of the ponytail lightly for added volume. Take the end of the ponytail and tuck it across the elastic and out to the sides. Pin across the top to secure, give it a spray and, for added flair, add a pretty barrette or comb.

c. thebeautydepartment.com



3. Half-up

I love half-up. When my hair isn't completely down, it is usually half-up. It works great if you have a really nice barrette or pretty, decorative bobby pins.

Note: Decorative bobby pins are allowed to be seen.

Here is a really easy, great style from The Small Things Blog.

Watch her youtube video here:


If you have natural hair, I adore this look:

c. babble.com


Pin Curls

Another amazing use for bobby pins which I feel is greatly under used, especially when you're travelling and don't have your entire hair arsenal with you. It is also a great way to curl your hair without heat if it is easily damaged.

I have hidden many pin curls under hats on my way to performances!

They are also a great way to maintain the curl if you have a long time to wait between hair time and performance time. I have used lots of the methods from this article in the past and she does a great job of before and afters:



Well, that's all for this week. I hope you have found the information to be both helpful and informative!

Tune-in next week for Performance Hair[styles] Part 2: Curls


1 comment:

  1. Much obliged for your understanding for your incredible posting. I'm happy I have set aside an ideal opportunity to see this. medium hairstyles for women

    ReplyDelete